Veterans' Services

Welcome Veteran Studentsnew-students-veterans-servicescurrent-students-veterans-servicesspouse-dependents-veterans-servicesother-resources-veterans-services

About SVCC's Veterans' Services Department

With the goal of being known as "America's Most Veteran-Friendly State," Virginia provides many unique state benefits to supplement and expand on federal benefits for military families. These benefits are available to you at Southside Virginia Community College.

Veteraqn with booksThe Office of Veterans' Services provides information and applications for VA educational benefits to active military service members, veterans, reservists, and eligible dependents. 

At SVCC we strive to make the veterans and veteran's dependents benefits process seamless and stress free.  To achieve this open and constant communication is vital. Please feel free to reach out to the Office of Veterans' Services with any questions and concerns about your benefits.  We are here for you and to ensure your success. Thank you for your service and for choosing Southside Virginia Community College. Please send any questions, concerns, inquiries, or suggestions to


Click here to request that your enrollment be certified with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

GI Bill Benefits

  • Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Basic Eligibility.  To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility you must apply for your benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
    • Apply online at  VONAPP
    • Apply on paper by filling out the appropriate VA form.
      • Veterans submit the VA Form 22-1990 for the following benefits:
        • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty - Chapter 30
        • Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33
        • Montgomery GI Bill Select Reserve - Chapter 1606
        • Reserve Education Assistance Program - Chapter 1607
      • Dependents using transferred Post 9/11 Gi Bill Benefits VA Form 22-1990e
      • Veterans applying for Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VA Form 28-1990
      • Dependents using Chapter 35 - Dependents Education Assistance or Chapter 33 - Marine Gunnery Sargent John David Fry Scholarship  VA Form 22-5490

If you do not know which benefit you may be eligible for or if you are eligible for more than one benefit and would like to discuss your options please contact Dean Schwartz (Contact information below).

  • Request to have your enrollment certified SVCC - GI Bill Enrollment Request Form after you have signed up for classes.  Before submitting your request for certification of enrollment there are a few things you should know.
    • Only classes that are a requirement of your current academic program (major) will be certified. There are only two (2) exceptions to this rule:
      • A faculty advisor may request that a non-required course be substituted for a program requirement. (The Office of Veterans' Services will need verification of this substitution.)
      • Rounding Out Rule - In your last semester of an academic program, if the required courses left to complete your academic program are less than full-time enrollment you may take non-required courses to round out your schedule to full-time.
    • To change your academic program at SVCC
  • If you change your enrollment (add, drop, withdrawal from a class) your benefits also change. You must notify the Office of Veterans' Services immediately to reduce the impact on your benefits. You must submit the SVCC - GI Bill Enrollment UPDATE Form as soon as possible following the change of your enrollment.
    • A delay in your enrollment certification update could result in an overpayment by the VA.
    • If you are overpaid by the VA, you will be required to repay what is owed to the VA.

The links below may provide additional information about military benefits and services:

In addition, these website may also provide helpful information:

Tuition Refunds – Military Students

According to VCCS policy (a), should a student be ordered to active duty (for reservists) or be mobilized (active military) as described in the Code of Virginia, Section 23-9.6:2, and he/she requests to be withdrawn from the college after the census date, the student may elect either to be deleted from the registration file and be awarded a full refund or to be administratively withdrawn with no refund and assigned a grade of "W". The college shall provide, at the option of the student, for such refunds to be retained and to be applicable to tuition and fees charged in the semester or term in which the student returns to study.
Military students requesting to be deleted from file or administratively withdrawn after the final drop date must contact the Admissions and Records Office (A & R) for the proper procedures and paperwork that must be submitted. The tuition refund/debt removal request process is outlined below.
Military students wishing to be deleted or administratively withdrawn after the final refund date must complete the delete/withdrawal process.

  • The military student goes to the A&R Office or nearest SVCC location to complete the add/drop form indicating preference for delete or withdrawal, and provides a copy of military orders requiring the change in enrollment.
  • Military students with financial aid will be required to communicate with a financial aid representative to discuss implications.  Military students with veteran's benefits will be required to communicate with the Veterans Affairs representative to discuss implications.  The financial aid representative and Veteran's Affairs representative will initial the add/drop form to verify that those funds were not used for tuition payment.

The A & R office verifies that appropriate documentation and signatures are in place before processing the delete or withdrawal.  If a refund is involved, the documentation will be sent to the business office for processing.

VA Work Study Program

SVCC is an approved VA Work Study location.  We have five (5) VA Work Study positions available to students receiving VA benefits.

Details about the VA Work Study Program can be found online at the US Department of Veterans' Affairs web page on Workstudy.

If you would like to apply to be a VA Work Study or if you have more questions about the VA Work Study Program, please fill out the application here and return it to Dean Schwartz, VA Work Study Supervisor (Contact information below).


Student Veterans Clubs

Both of Southside Virginia Community College's main campuses have chapters of Student Veterans of America.  The links below will direct you to contact information for each chapter.

John H. Daniel Campus Student Veterans Club

Christanna Campus Student Veterans Club

Student Veterans of America


The Office of Veterans' Service

Dean Schwartz, VA School Certifying Official

Phone: 434-736-2100 (Both Campuses) Fax: 434-736-2082

John H. Daniel Campus                                                             Christanna Campus

200 Daniel Road                                                                       109 Campus Drive

Keysville, Virginia 23947                                                          Alberta, Virginia 23821


Monday, Wednesday, and Friday                                               Tuesday and Thursday

8:00 AM to 3:00 PM                                                                   9:00 AM to 2:00 PM