Southside Adults Volunteering Educational Services is the Southside Virginia Community College Basic Skills and Literacy volunteer program that offers adults, from all walks of life, the opportunity to help other adults realize their educational dreams.
Community Based Literacy Organizations – Contact Information
- Brunswick Literacy Council – Judy Ritchie – 434-848-1865 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nottoway County Literacy – Robin Sapp – 434-645-9594 – email@example.com
- Charlotte County Literacy Program – Mora da Silva – 434-542-5782 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tri-County Life Learners (Buckingham, Cumberland, and Prince Edward Counties) – Joe Gemski – 434-392-9019 – www.tricountylifelearners.org
- Halifax Literacy Volunteers – Judy Ward – 434-572-5449 – email@example.com
Opportunities to volunteer:
Adult Basic Education
GED ® preparation
Encourage and motivate students
Enrich learning environments
Teach special lessons
Most volunteers can commit to one two-or three-hour class period each week.
Are held mornings and evenings throughout SVCC's service area.
Knowledge and experience in adult education.
Satisfaction of helping improve the literacy levels of Southside adults.
Enjoyment of working with motivated students.
All potential volunteers must attend a two-hour orientation before placement in a classroom. We offer a volunteer orientation every semester. Additional professional development will be offered and may be required.
GED ® and the GED Testing Service ® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education ® and may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of the American Council on Education.